In Chapter 23, Kauflin talks about the differences between being planned and being spontaneous in the church. Planning can make us aware of our need for God before the meeting, help us use different musical styles, diversify the worship team, and use God's Word more consistently. However it is important to keep in mind that planning can't replace dependence on the Holy Spirit, and planning certainly does not ensure that everything will go right. As for spontaneity, it is a way to make it evident that the Spirit is manifesting his power through us in many ways. Spontaneity gives us the freedom to respond to present needs and increase our awareness of the Spirit's active presence. In Chapter 24, Kauflin writes about being rooted and being relevant. It is important to not forget that our generation is not the first to think of biblical worship. We must open our eyes to what God has done in the past, and be rooted in the history of His worship. However, it is also good to pursue worship traditions that are flexible and suitable for the present culture, in order to proclaim the unchanging gospel in ways that our generation and culture can understand.
Coming into the worship environment just this year, it was a bit daunting. I haven't been to church too many times before joining and the churches I went to were not too big on worship. It was overwhelming to say the least, and having a set plan actually was comforting. It was nice to know what exactly we would be doing and what to expect so I could be prepared. As we are approaching the end of the year though, I believe that leaving room for some spontaneity can be very effective. At this point, we know what we are doing and we can let the Spirit work through us.
Coming into the worship environment just this year, it was a bit daunting. I haven't been to church too many times before joining and the churches I went to were not too big on worship. It was overwhelming to say the least, and having a set plan actually was comforting. It was nice to know what exactly we would be doing and what to expect so I could be prepared. As we are approaching the end of the year though, I believe that leaving room for some spontaneity can be very effective. At this point, we know what we are doing and we can let the Spirit work through us.
Comments
Post a Comment